Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In the spirit of my last two posts, I suppose, I'd like to share with you the description of a group I joined on Facebook. It's pretty funny.

It's called "I Like People....In Theory."

"This is for all those idealistic people who love the idea of world peace, getting along with everyone and who pretty much want to make the world a better place, but frequently get the urge to bitch-slap the moron who cuts them off in traffic, open up a can of whoop-ass on the littering birthday picnic-ers at the park or take down the rude neighbor in the apartment next door with the really loud television, dog, children, and/or sexual behaviors. Ever-optimistic, yet ever-annoyed individuals because of the stupidity and carelessness of our society. Somebody will make the world a better place -- but it probably won't be us."


Hahaha.

Seriously though, I feel this way most of the time.

I think I'm getting better at it, but it's difficult to reconcile my Christianity with my frankly judgmental nature. If I'd been around in Jesus' time, I'd be the one saying, "Yes! Love the poor! ....From a safe distance. Right, Jesus?" I have a tendency to establish connections with those whom it is already easy for me to love. I even catch myself eyeballing the poor fashion choices of certain parishioners as they kneel at the altar on Sunday morning! Then I feel guilty for thinking that way. Then I feel guilty for feeling guilty. Oh boy.

My best friend (who feels the same way) joked that people like us should get bonus points for being Christians.

I suppose the important thing for me (and all of us) to remember is that we all have vices, and that's okay -- it's what makes us us. And that once we identify those vices, we can dig a little deeper to find out why we're so judgmental (or angry or empty or cold or whatever) - and begin to ask for God's unconditional love and forgiveness, to heal whatever wounds we have that cause us to hurt others and ourselves.

Yes, unconditional forgiveness.



No comments: