Monday, August 18, 2008

St. George, St. Andrew's Cross

One of the things I've been seeing on various anti-Episcopal blogs lately is the shield of the Episcopal Church (USA) turned upside down. I suppose this is a childish and banal (you can't do anything better with photoshop? Really?) attempt at protest.

Let's just take a moment to remind ourselves that the red cross is St. George's cross, patron saint of England. The red signifies the precious blood of Jesus Christ. Blue is representative of the Mother of God, and the 9-cross pattern is St. Andrew's cross, patron saint of Scotland. The 9 crosses represent 9 dioceses of Scotland, a country which ordained American bishops when the English refused.

Normally, I'm all for protest. But like it or not, th e Episcopal shield is a Christian symbol. (One that represents Christ, Mary, and the Saints, at that.) When fellow Christians engage in its desecration, they're only shooting themselves in the foot. I can't imagine God smiling on the act, either.

Stick with photoshopping devil horns onto Katharine's head or something.







3 comments:

Kyle said...

I thought a flag or other emblem displayed upside down was meant to convey distress. It's a statement, not an attempt to deface or "desecrate" the symbol.

Eric said...

This is true. Of course, it also depends on the intent of the one displaying the symbol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe language like "immoral perverts with invalid sacraments" (from Traditio.com) is meant to convey a stronger distaste than mere distress.

Davis said...

I doubt the association of the blue canton with the Mother of God (though I'd prefer it that way), but rather suggest it represents "the heavens".

The unbridled hatred, and there's no other word for it, of some who think themselves now superior to the Episcopal Church is something I'd argue they will have to answer for ultimately.